Lake Lenore Sales Agronomist
We’re looking to hire a sales agronomist that is interested in both field and office work. The employee will provide scouting services upon request, meet with and assist
customers to make informed product decisions, and work alongside the location manager to achieve success. Salary is contingent upon experience, but starts at $65,000.
This position is full time with the employee starting work as soon as possible. If you are a University graduate applying, we will have the job commence after your April finals are complete.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
Area Agronomy Support
- Deliver agronomy services to the location as required and provide technically sound agronomic advice
- Increase Horizon’s overall expertise in soil management & plant health
- Work with Location Manager to provide the opportunity for agronomy services to customers including but not exclusive to field scouting, tissue/soil/resistant weed sampling, drone field assessments, fertility plans and blends, product rebates
- Have an ongoing communication with several key customers, in cooperation with Location Manager, to demonstrate continuity and consistency.
- Contribute to and be familiar with Horizon’s strategies for: macronutrients, micronutrients, herbicide rotations, fungicide, and field verified demonstrations
- Oversee trial fields to observe/record differences throughout the season
- Assist with the completion of the trial during harvest
- Attend local information meetings and in-season tours and bring the knowledge back to our entire team.
- Work with other Sales Agronomists one on one to develop approach methods and techniques
- Assist in organizing customer meetings/tours
- Set aside time for joint farm meetings with Location Manager
- Participate in school and community education programs as appropriate
- Identify profit opportunities for Agronomy/product programs
- Support customers and suppliers through prompt and detailed investigation of product inquiries
- Learn and understand the products and services Horizon provides
- Build confidence and experience in technical skills while sharing best practices with the entire agronomy team
- Create and update agronomy fact sheets for the location
- Keep current on industry trends and technology – transfer this knowledge to both the agronomy team and customers.
- Approach the ag industry and community in a professional manner such that Horizon maintains a presence as the leader in our market
- Oversee the entry of scouting data into system for permanent archive on the customer account
- Promote, and coordinate agronomy services for customers (ie. Crop scouting, soil sampling, etc)
- Assist in agronomy where necessary and appropriate
- Put out field signs for Horizon and our business partners to create awareness and promote Horizon and the companies we support
- Lead the business relationship with assigned target accounts and plan an appropriate level of contact with customers to maintain strong professional relationships
- Establish internal resource requirements for each account
- Oversee and maintain assigned customer records on database
- Ensure compliance with company customer relationship standards
- Develop an annual crop plan with target accounts and include other team members when appropriate
- Ensure proper completion of credit applications
- Communicate market information with location staff
- Identify and pursue new customer opportunities in line with corporate direction
- Organize target accounts to attend tours, meeting and events
- Understand and be up to date on manufacturer programming and products as it pertains to each of your target customers and ensure the maximization of product rebates for customers or company when applicable
- Deliver farm inputs directly to customers upon request
- Work with the location team to sale completion, such as tracking sales, credit, and delivery
Customer Services Rep
- Provide sales function to new prospects and customers and walk in customers when appropriate
- Learn and ensure compliance with company customer management standards
- Ensure highest level of customer service for any customer when appropriate
- Assist in coordinating and executing product movement
- Assist in loading and unloading of product from customers or from suppliers
- Assist operations staff with various tasks, especially in busy season and especially when a customer needs to be served
- Be prepared to fill in in the instance of operational shortfalls
- Assist with equipment maintenance when needed
Horizon Team Member
- Contribute to and maintain a positive attitude in the workplace
- Work to eliminate swearing and gossip in the workplace
- Keep and maintain confidentiality of all customers and Horizon business
- Ensure all licenses are up to date and in compliance with provincial and municipal regulations
- Be mindful and eliminate any unnecessary expenses for the business
- Look for ways to help Horizon Fertilizers be more profitable, even small things
- Help with any special projects as required
- Be familiar with and live the values that are defined by Horizon Fertilizers
- Continually develop leadership and business skills
- Approve, attend and contribute to community activities when appropriate
- Set, maintain, and live high ethical and moral standards
- Pleasantly greet customers and suppliers
- Fill in for all roles when needed with appropriate skills and talents
- Support safety practices and initiatives as set by safety officer and ensure safe driving habits
- Maintain and tidy up office and yard
- Demonstrate respect and courtesy for all staff, customers, suppliers, and community
- Agronomy is one of our primary differentiators. This position is critical to our customers and locations and we expect the highest level of professionalism and agronomy expertise.
- Profitability comes from our ability to deliver products and services that meet and exceed our customers’ expectations. We expect our Agronomists to lend a hand to operations staff to ensure the highest level of satisfaction for customers when the need is there.
- Technology and solutions are provided in the form of products. We expect our sales agronomists to provide the best agronomic solutions to our customers and also provide a profitable return to our company.
As a team member at Horizon Fertilizers, you will receive:
• Full benefits including: health, dental, life insurance, and RRSP contributions
• Paid time off
• Career advancement opportunities
• Vehicle Lease
A Diploma or Bachelor of Science in Agriculture or Business is preferred, with previous work experience in the agriculture industry considered an asset. A valid class 5 driver’s license that is in good standing is a requirement.
Preference will be given to applicants that already have, or are able to attain their Professional Agrologist (P.Ag). Technical Agrologist (TechAg), or Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) certifications. If the applicant does not have these certifications, but is willing and eligible to complete the training, Horizon Fertilizers will pay for the training costs and fees.
Our Lake Lenore office is located 1/2 mile east of HWY 368 just before Lake Lenore. Applicants are not obligated to reside in Lake Lenore, but they should be within a reasonable driving distance, as their work will be based in the office and the local area.