Are you a financial professional skilled in balancing office-based financial strategy with hands-on operational insight? We’re in search of a Controller who thrives in both guiding financial decisions and delving into the operational intricacies. As our Controller, you’ll steer financial strategies and work closely with our leadership team to ensure success.
This position is full time with the employee starting work as they are able.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
Senior Financial Manager
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports; document, monitor, and update accounting policies; review budgets for all departments.
- Develop and oversee annual operations and capital budgets, guiding crucial investment decisions.
- Manage and oversee all accounting and reporting functions, ensuring timely and accurate delivery of financial reports to the President and Management Team.
- Supervise financial statements, general ledger, cost accounting, tax compliance, audits, trade payables, accounts receivables, and supplier accounts payables.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with external partners, including bankers, accountants, lawyers, and corporate insurance providers.
- Oversee comprehensive cash flow management, bank accounts, operating line, disbursements, funding, and payments.
- Monitor inventory control and conduct regular counts.
- Implement processes aligned with the company’s vision while ensuring unwavering compliance with accounting and tax regulations.
- Uphold accurate and up-to-date financial systems, collaborating with external auditors during the annual financial audit process.
- Assist the President with pivotal financial and legal documents, serving as the company’s representative during corporate audits.
- Conduct thorough oversight of administrative functions and proactively investigate discrepancies (financial, inventory, administration) through internal audits.
- Regularly provide crucial financial reports to management, Cargill, banks, and other stakeholders while ensuring unwavering compliance with banking agreements.
- Maintain a consistent reporting schedule on financial status and generate necessary ad-hoc reports as required.
- Assist in developing and communicating the company’s vision, core values, and mission.
- Stay updated on industry and customer trends.
- Aid in developing sales and expense budgets aligned with the strategic plan.
- Support the management team in achieving company objectives and goals.
- Identify and communicate potential new processes or business ideas contributing to Horizon Fertilizers.
Management Team Member
- Attend all Management Team meetings
- Provide appropriate reports for meetings as requested by Chairman or as suggested by the agenda
- Prepare for Management Team Meetings with appropriate review of agenda and materials
- Facilitate team meetings upon request by the Chairman.
- Be active and positive contributor to Management Team meetings.
- Receive necessary secretarial support to effectively fulfill responsibilities as part of the Management Team
Expectations in addition to Roles and Responsibilities
- Be vigilant on establishing policy that ensures health of company finances while being highly supportive of location employees as they work to adhere to the policies.
- Align with the President in establishing a healthy and supportive culture for all employees
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with all employees
As a team member at Horizon Fertilizers, you will receive:
- Full benefits including: health, dental, life insurance, and RRSP contributions
- Paid time off
- Career advancement opportunities
Experience in a Controller or similar role is desired, along with strong knowledge of accounting principles, procedures, and laws. Hands-on involvement with general ledger, accounts payable, and accounts receivable is essential, along with expertise in cash management, risk assessment, and accounting software. A degree in Accounting or Finance is required, and a CPA qualification is preferred, although a combination of experience and education will be considered.
The Controller position is based out of our head office in Humboldt, Saskatchewan, situated at 1704 4th Avenue.